Requirements for Obtaining a Building Permit




ITHACA, MI 48847


Ph (989) 875-5201
Fax (989) 875-5260




Residential Structures

(One-and Two-Family Residential with less than 3,500 square feet of calculated floor area)

             *Building Permit Application (BCC-324).

            *Energy Compliance Statement

            *Minimum of two (2) sets of plans that include the following:

                        Foundation and floor plans.

                        Roof and wall section.

                        Building elevations.

                        Site plan.

 Commercial Structures

(Including One-and Two-Family Residential with more than 3,500 square feet of calculated floor area)

             *Building Permit Application (BCC-324).

*Minimum of two (2) sets of plans sealed by an architect which include Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing.

 Mobile and Premanufactured Homes

             *Building Permit Application (BCC-324).

*Minimum of two (2) sets of plans for the foundation and the method of anchoring the unit to the      


            *Energy Compliance Statement

*Site plan.

*For Michigan approved premanufactured units: one (1) copy of the Building System Approval and      the approved plans..

 Instructions for Completing Application

 Page 1 of the application:  Complete all applicable sections.  Note section 4,  If the homeowner is doing the construction, enter “Homeowner” in the contractor information space.

 Page 2 of the application:  Must be completed by the permit applicant and signed.

 Page 3 of the application:  Please complete site plan.


 1.  Township Zoning Permit:  Contact your local township zoning official. A copy of the zoning permit or letter of Township approval is required before a building permit can be issued.

 2.  Septic and Well Permits:  (When applicable) Contact the Mid-Michigan Health Dept. at (989) 875-3681, or visit their office located at 151 Commerce Dr., Ithaca MI.  A copy of the well and septic permit is required before the building permit can be issued. Existing well and septic systems may be used, however, a copy of the well or septic evaluation must be submitted if the system is older than 10 years and has not been in use.


 6.  Soil Erosion Permits: 


If your project involves disturbing soils over an area of one (1) or more acres. A SESC permit from the Gratiot County Permits Office will be required as part of your zoning/building permit application packet.

  • If your project is within 500 feet of a lake, stream, river or open county drain. A SESC permit from the Gratiot County Permits Office will be required as part of your zoning/building permit application packet..

 7.  Driveway Permit:  (When applicable) Contact the Gratiot County Road Commission for information on these permits, curb cuts, or any other activity affecting County roads. Their telephone number is (989) 875-3811.

 8.  State Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Permits:  The following is a list of the State Inspectors, and the division offices. They can assist you in obtaining the necessary permits for all electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling projects, and can answer all questions regarding the State Permits, inspections, fees, etc. You can either mail  a completed state application and a check or money order for the state permits to the State Bureau of Construction Codes or apply online at

 State Electrical Inspector           Mike Bouza  (989) 293-1204       Electrical Division Office  (517) 241-9320

State Mechanical Insp.               Richard Teal (989) 292-1976       Mechanical Div. Office     (517) 241-9325

State Plumbing Inspector           Dave Yeager (269) 680-1978      Plumbing Division Office (517) 241-9330

 When to Call for an Inspection:

 Foundation Inspection:

Footing Inspection – After formwork is completed but prior to pouring concrete.

 Backfill Inspection – Prior to backfill and after the footings, walls, waterproofing and drain tile are installed.

 Rough Inspection:

The rough inspection is to be made after the roof, all framing, firestopping and bracing installations are in place and the electrical, mechanical and plumbing rough installations are in place and approved, but before the insulation is installed.

 Final Inspection:

The final inspection is to be made upon completion of the building or structure, and before occupancy occurs.

 Certificate of Occupancy:

A new building or a building that is altered shall not be used or occupied until a Certificate of Occupancy is issued by the code official.  The permit holder or their authorized agent must request a Certificate of Occupancy upon the completion of the project.  This request may be verbal, however, it is recommended that a written request be sent in, which included the building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing permit numbers.  A Certificate of Occupancy cannot be issued until all fees are paid, permits are finaled and the work covered by a building permit has been completed in accordance with the permit, the code and other applicable laws and ordinances.

**It is the responsibility of the applicant, contractor, or home owner to obtain all necessary permits. The permit holder is responsible for any and all inspections necessary. If you need assistance, please contact the Gratiot County Permits Office. The telephone number is (989) 875-5201.