What We Do
The Department of Community Development oversees construction work within the county. Staff review construction documents and building plans, and perform inspections. We issue building, zoning and soil erosion and sedimentation control permits.
How We Do It
Our staff is committed to providing the best customer service, while also ensuring that all structures meet the standards of safety and quality required by the State of Michigan. We also ensure that all soil erosion and sedimentation controls are in compliance with state regulations. Our knowledgeable and experienced inspection staff are certified through the State of Michigan as Officials or Inspectors and all participate in ongoing education to remain abreast of changes that may occur.
Inspections are done by appointment and, except when unforeseen circumstances may arise, are completed within two business days.
Make an online payment to the Office of Community Development.
- Zoning Permit Application - Elba, Hamilton, Lafayette, Newark, North Star and Sumner Townships (PDF)
- Parcel (Land) Division Application (PDF)
- Application for Agricultural Use (PDF)
- Affidavit of Agricultural Use Structure (PDF)
- Application for PA 116 (PDF)
- Release from PA 116 (PDF)
- Wind Turbine Complaint Form (PDF)